Friday, June 29, 2012

Picture Frame Key Holder

Okay, so if anyone else is like me, you lose your keys anytime they're not in the ignition. My roommates and I had a gnome key holder (our house is practically gnome-central), but it fell off the wall about every other day, and didn't go well with the rest of our grown-up house. So, I decided to make one instead of spending $20+ on some boring thing that I didn't have the satisfaction of making myself. :)


I started with three fancy frames from JoAnn's, along with some paint because I wasn't a big fan of the gold color.


On clearance for $4.97, could you believe that?! Such a steal, especially at JoAnn's. I found three of them for under $5, so I was a seriously happy camper.


I wanted to paint them a metallic silver color, so I bought this little guy. Unfortunately, it was a little too watery to be painted on the frame alone, so I decided to go with a black coat first.


Paint a happy face, and wait for your little frame to dry! :)


... Or your three frames to dry.


I painted over with a few coats of the silver paint, and I liked the way it turned out!


Take out everything inside. With mine, I had to cut off the back because it was attached. Mmm, velvet.


I bought these cup hooks at Ace Hardware for about $3. I couldn't find silver ones, but I didn't really care enough to paint them over.


Since my frames weren't wood but metal, it was quite a challenge to get these guys in there. I don't have an electric drill, so I couldn't drill first and then stick these guys in, but I heard that's the best way. For me, it just took some time and manpower.


I don't have pictures of the next step, but the cup hooks were sticking out too far in the back and it wouldn't sit flat against the wall, so I needed to figure out something to do. I decided to somehow attach it to a larger frame, and luckily they were just the right size to be nailed together. I think it dressed it up a little more, and made it look much better.


And there you have it! It was a simple project, but it's useful and looks nice! I couldn't seem to take very good photographs of it, but it's on a very plain wall sooo it doesn't look that great. But I know it'll look great soon! If you have any ideas on how to spruce this drab hallway up, they are more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment